
By Jean Mata
I am from the Pearl of the Orient,
the land of the palm trees, rice fields and the golden mangoes.
I am from the place where you can gaze at the stars on a clear night.
I am from the fields of the dragon flies and the butterflies.
I am from the place of the orchids and the sampaguita.
I am from the a beautiful land corrupted by evil politicians
who bloated themselves with power and stolen wealth.
I am from a place where poverty is like a cancer.
I am from the place where people always reach out to heaven for help.
I am from the place where people smile even in the midst of sufferings.
I am from the place where people help you even they need help too.
I am from the place where people give even they are empty.
I am from the Philippines.

Jean,
ReplyDeleteYour lines are so powerful and distinct. The one especially-- "poverty is like cancer" hits a certain sentiment that makes me feel empty.