EdithNamed after a Great Aunt,
A great aunt who is shrouded in mystery and was deeply loved by my father
This sister of my grandmother protected my father when his own mother couldn’t or maybe wouldn’t
When my mother was pregnant with her third and last child, she and the father of the unborn child got into a heated fight;
“Edith will not be her first name!” I’m sure my mother screamed,
maybe that’s why I’m so loud
“That’s the name of my mother,” I’m sure my father thought, but never said.
Instead, he and my mother yelled but Edith was only second best,
My first name is Nicole.
Growing up, I was ashamed of my middle name.
When the little “chickey-dees” would gather in school,
Someone would say, “What’s your Middle Name?”
All of the girls would sound off,
“Kim!” “Oh, that’s cute!”
“Mya!” “Oh, I wish that was my first name!”
“Elizabeth.” “Ewww, that name is old!”
“Edith.” Then there was silence

No comments:
Post a Comment
Responding to written work in an online environment requires extra care with respect to language. Please re-read a response before you post it. Thanks!