WHERE I AM FROM
by: H. Narbay
Where I am from truckloads of sawdust are welcomed like Santa Claus
Where I am from unbreakable guava trees invite children for a blissful swing
and their ripe fruits dare playful climbers to go high
Where I am from coconut branches are transformed into makeshift ski boards shrieking with innocent souls gliding down the hill.
Where I am from cattails thrive where catfish abound beguiling children for hours of fun with improvised harpoons.
Where I am from tides rise when heavy rains fall.
Where I am from sugarcane beckon my friends and I for refreshments.
Where I am from neighborhood and playground mean the same.
Where I am from toys cost nothing.
Where I am from rubber bands slither like a sidewinder in the dunes of Sahara.
Where I am from a plastic bottle of alcohol filled with marbles is a prized possession.
Where I am from tall tales are born in huddles after hours of frolic.
Where I am from is the cradle of my childhood dreams.
Where I am from is a reflection of the changing sky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Responding to written work in an online environment requires extra care with respect to language. Please re-read a response before you post it. Thanks!